Anniversary joy for Easthouses’ couple

Jim and Thea Brown from Easthouses, receive Diamond wedding congratulations from Provost Joe Wallace and Depute Lord Lieutenant Richard Callander
Jim and Thea Brown from Easthouses, receive Diamond wedding congratulations from Provost Joe Wallace and Depute Lord Lieutenant Richard Callander

Easthouses couple Jim and Thea Brown were joined by their family when they recently celebrated their Diamond wedding.

The Browns, who live in Carrick Crescent, were married on October 20, 1956 in Newtongrange Church. The reception was held in the village band hall.

At that time Mrs Brown (80) worked in Galashiels. She was a darner in one of the woollen factories.

Mr Brown’s family moved to Dalkeith when he was nine years old when the pit at Larkhall closed. Jim (81) followed his father in becoming a miner and did this until he retired.

He started his working life at the Moat Pit in Roslin before moving to Bilston Glen Colliery in Loanhead. He also qualified for his fireman ticket.

After they were married, the couple lived in Sherwood, Bonnyrigg, before moving to Bogwood Road, Mayfield. They eventually moved to a bigger house in Easthouses where they have stayed for 40 years. After the family grew up, Thea returned to work at the Ferranti factory in Dalkeith. She was there for 30 years working as part of the inspections team until she retired.

The couple have four children, nine grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. They enjoy regular holidays to Spain and watching bowling at the local clubs. Around 100 family members and friends joined the couple for an anniversary party in Easthouses Miners’ Club. And the success to a long marriage? “We have enjoyed our life. We really have,” said Thea.