Bonnyrigg street ‘could have exploded’

William McOwen & Susan McNeish with 10 week old Robbie at the faulty gas fire that could have caused an explosion, at their Hawthornden Gardens home in Bonnyrigg.
William McOwen & Susan McNeish with 10 week old Robbie at the faulty gas fire that could have caused an explosion, at their Hawthornden Gardens home in Bonnyrigg.

A BONNYRIGG family say they are lucky to be alive after a gas leak in their home.

William McOwen claims the Scotland Gas Networks engineer that came to tackle the leak was shocked the Hawthornden Gardens house hadn’t blown up, taking half the street with it.

Mr McOwen shares the rented property with with his partner, Susan McNeish, and their three children – Gemma (12), William (nine) and 10-week-old baby Robbie.

Their ordeal began earlier this month when the living room gas fire’s pilot went out.

For full story, see this week’s Advertiser.