Firefighters responded to eight accidental house fires in Midlothian over the festive period.
Between December 19 and January 2, crews were called to deal with four casualties.
Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service recorded 94 domestic house fires and 30 casualties in the 15-day period. The service is now urging people to ensure they have a working smoke alarm in their home.
Community fire safety manager Geoff Aird said: “In the run-up to the festive period, we did a lot of work to make people aware that research shows fires over the festive season increase significantly. We know that accidental house fires rise by 20 per cent and fire casualties by 33 per cent. You are statistically more at risk at this time of year.”
Cooking was the main cause of the fires, with matches, lighters and candles sparking 19 blazes. Faulty wiring and electrics resulted in 17 incidents, and smoking materials 11.
Full story in this week’s Advertiser. On sale now.