Bus services set to be axed by First will be saved by rival firms, according to one boss.
Speaking to the Advertiser this week, traffic manager at Edinburgh Coach Lines, Gary Forbes-Burns, said that talks with Midlothian Council had been “extremely positive” and that he expected county links to remain in place.
His comments followed a crunch meeting between the council and leading transport operators – including Edinburgh Coach Lines – following the shock announcement by First Scotland East that county services are to be axed along with up to 200 local jobs.
He said: “We had positive discussions regarding the procured 328 service, which we had tendered for last year. We are also interested in other subsidised services, particularly the 92.
“Lothian Buses have come up with a package to take over the main commercial routes, and so I don’t see there being any area in Midlothian that will not have a bus service.
“We can safely say that current tender provision will continue in some form – communities will not be cut off.”
Read full story in the April 19 edition of the Midlothian Advertiser.