Midlothian dad demands ban on legal highs

Agnes and Jack Lewis

Agnes and Jack Lewis

4
Have your say

A grieving father has called for a ban on legal highs after watching his son slowly die as a result of using New Psychoactive Substances (NSP).

Gorebridge man David Lewis (33) had been using a white-powder stimulant known as Burst when he took ill at the end of last year.

Complaining of headaches and chest pains, he was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where doctors discovered he had contracted septicaemia from injecting the substance.

Blood clots on his brain spread to his heart and spine, and despite numerous operations the infection moved to his lungs, kidneys and liver.

After spending more than seven weeks in hospital he died on the operating table on February 10.

Now his father Jack Lewis (58), also from Gorebridge, is calling for a ban on shopkeepers selling the deadly substances.

He told the Advertiser: “These people know what they are doing.

“I haven’t a nice word to say about them because they are committing murder as far as I’m concerned.

“They are making money out of other people’s misery.”

Read full story in this week’s Advertiser. Out now.