Public rallies to help Loanhead project

LOANHEAD: Loanhead Community Learning Centre. Fire damage to community garden. Irene Hogg & PC Ross Young
LOANHEAD: Loanhead Community Learning Centre. Fire damage to community garden. Irene Hogg & PC Ross Young

The damage to a fire-hit Loanhead community garden is worse than first feared, it has been revealed.

As reported in last week’s Advertiser, tyres, used as planters, were set on fire at the award-winning garden next to Loanhead Community Learning Centre.

The blaze on September 2 destroyed a 10ft high willow hut, which was used as an outdoor classroom, as well as a number of established trees and shrubs.

Centre manager Irene Hodd told the Advertiser this week: “Unfortunately, we have now discovered that because of the tyres being toxic, the soil has been contaminated and all the vegetables and fruit in the raised beds have to be flung out because of the fumes.”

Full story in this week’s Advertiser. On sale now.