Free-flowing, poker-straight hair is often the norm on the catwalks, but AW15 saw designers embracing hair accessories and elaborate styles in a big way.
From perspex slides at Prada and Alice bands at Chanel, to the profusion of gilded combs, grips and brooches at Dolce & Gabbana, these amped-up styles are the perfect New Year’s Eve hair-spiration.
Fancy giving it a go? Here are three gorgeous dos - plus expert advice on how to create them - and the embellishments to pair with them...
THE PINNED PONYTAIL
Make like a Prada model with a super-high pony pinned to one side. Kieron Fowles, creative director at Supercuts (www.supercuts.co.uk), explains how:
1. Start by applying Wella EIMI Smooth Thermal Image, £10.75 (ShopSupercuts.com), to wet hair to create a solid foundation and shine before blow-drying.
2. Take a section from the top of the head and pin out of the way. Brush the remaining hair at the back of the head upwards and away from the neck. Spray a little Wella EIMI Stay Styled Fixing Hairspray, £12.50, through the hair and comb through before pinning out the way.
3. Returning to the top section, spray some Stay Styled onto your brush and brush hair back away from the face towards the crown in smooth motions, keeping as close to the head as possible, then secure the hair at the top of the head with elastic.
4. Release the bottom section of hair from the clip, spray more Stay Styled onto the brush and brush hair up away from the neck, again keeping as close to the head as possible. Secure with elastic next to the top section, making one ponytail.
5. Take a section from the back of the ponytail and wrap around the base to disguise the hair tie.
6. Run a ghd Curve Creative Curl Wand, £110, through the length of the ponytail to create a gentle wave, then take your clip and pin just behind your temple, a few inches above the end of the ponytail, so that the ends are loose. Finish with a spritz of Stay Styled to fix the look.
Jon Richard Diamante Triangular Hair Barrette, £15 (available online only; www.debenhams.com)
Accessorize Crystal Deco Hair Barrette, £12 (www.accessorize.com)
Orelia Branch Hair Clip, £12 (www.orelia.co.uk)
THE SAMURAI KNOT
This sleek, Asian-inspired knot, which is a twist on the high ponytail above, is the perfect foil for a sparkling hair comb or two. Supercuts’ Kieron Fowles talks us through the style:
1. Follow steps one to five above for the pinned ponytail, so that you begin with a high pony with the elastic disguised.
2. Take a two-inch section out from the front of the ponytail and create a loop with the remaining hair. Secure with elastic and let the ends fall against the back of the head.
3. Take the front section of hair and wrap around the loop, then secure the end with pins.
4. Gently pull the loop backwards towards the head and pin into place to create a bun, then position a sparkly comb on one or both sides.
Phase Eight Pearl Hair Comb, £15 (www.phase-eight.com)
Accessorize Ava Crystal Hair Comb, £12 (www.accessorize.com)
Enchanting Hair Comb by Kat&George for Senhoa, £145 (www.katandbee.co.uk)
THE GENTLE WAVE
Roberto Cavalli’s girls floated down the AW runway with tresses that were just gently tousled - add a glittery Alice band and you’ve got a beautifully ethereal evening look. Stylist and Charles Worthington Brand Ambassador Ken O’Rourke explains how to create the look:
1. Start by prepping dry hair with Charles Worthington Strength & Repair Heat Defence Spray, £6.99 (www.boots.com).
2. Use a wand, like the ghd Curve Creative Curl Wand, and wrap random sections of hair from mid lengths to ends. If you miss some sections, that’s absolutely fine, you want the waves to look completely effortless, like you haven’t tried too hard.
3. Apply Charles Worthington Volume & Bounce Texture Spray, £6.99, after you have styled your hair from mid lengths to ends, spraying in an upwards motion to create added height for the perfect unstructured finish.
4. Position your Alice band and you’re good to go - the end result should be a natural-looking but polished texture with added ‘oomph’. It’s what I call hair that men love and women want.
Feather and Coal Swarovski Crystal And Hand Cut Organza Headband, £225 (www.featherandcoal.com)
Phase Eight Embellished Headband, currently reduced from £29 to £19 (www.phase-eight.com)