WW1:Midlothian remembers

World War One logo
World War One logo

The Advertiser returns with its regular series remembering the months in the lead up to the start of World War 1 in 1914.

100 years ago Midlothian, along with the rest of Britain, would enter the First World War. 100 years ago this week, however, the people of Midlothian had other thoughts on their minds.

In the July 17, 1914 edition of the Midlothian Journal it was reported that the amended plans for the picture house proposed to be erected in Jackson Street, Penicuik were submitted to the Dean of Guild Court. Staying in Penicuik, an application to the town council by a Mrs Jobbling for permission “to supply refreshments in the Public Park when picnic parties were present” was refused.

Meanwhile Newbattle School Board agreed to increase teachers’ salaries. Infant mistresses saw their pay rise from £100 to £110 and first male assistants’ pay was increased from £150 to £170.

In Gorebridge a cyclist lost control of his bike while travelling on the Gowkshill Road, which led to him colliding with the back of a ‘motor bus’. He suffered bruises on his legs and body.

Bonnyrigg Town Council discussed the defective water supply, with locals complaining about the smell. The sanitary inspector concluded that the water supply was “not in a satisfactory condition”.

If you have any family anecdotes, memories, or thoughts from the time, then get involved here.