Arniston ending season on a high

Arniston Rangers 3-0 Oakley United
Arniston Rangers 3-0 Oakley United

Arniston notched their seventh win in a row to move up to fifth in the table with three games left to play in a season they won’t want to end.

Manager Jock Landells was featured on the subs bench on Saturday as Arnie were four players short and resources stretched to the limit.

Oakley under new management made a useful start in the opening 15 minutes or so on an afternoon when Arniston missed two penalties.

But Arnie keeper Dale Cornet was to keep a clean sheet on the day and denied Oakley any reward.

It proved to be a tighter game than Arniston may have anticipated and even more so when usually reliable Guy Kerr missed a 20th minute penalty.

The long awaited Arniston first goal however did come along in the 40th minute when a great move by Lumbert Kateleza ended with a Danny McFadden goal putting the hosts in at the break narrowly 1-0 ahead with their 63rd overall goal of the season chasing their 13th league win of the season.

And Arniston Rangers were much improved in that second half though it took an excellent save from Cornet in 65 minutes to deny an Oakley equaliser as Arniston looked for a settling second goal, not before Danny McFadden missed Arniston’s second penalty of the afternoon however.

It was in the 80th minute when Arniston finally went 2-0 ahead following a three man move involving Kyle Doig and Kataleza and McFadden, the latter making amends for his spot kick miss ten minutes earlier, finishing off the move and beating the United keeper .

With another excellent display from Kataleza it was 3-0 to Arniston on 85 minutes when a Scott Garden lob was touched on by Kataleza to Kye Doig who leathered the ball home to finish off the Fifers !

Next up for Arniston is a trip to league leaders Dundonald Bluebell, who beat Newtongrange Star last Saturday in the East of Scotland Cup. All in all a much tougher prospect, but Arnie go there with confidence.