Chemical scare at Stobhill

The Stobhill Waste Depot in Newtongrange
The Stobhill Waste Depot in Newtongrange

Eight people were checked by ambulance crew following the discovery of a potentially dangerous chemical at Stobhill Recycling Centre yesterday.

The council workers became unwell at the Newtongrange facility after a spill of ammonia chloride sulphate was reported at 9.50am.

The chemical compound ammonium sulphate is primarily used in fertilisers, and is potentially dangerous to both people and the environment. It can cause severe irritation and inflammation if inhaled.

A spokesman for Midlothian Council, said: “We take these types of incidents very seriously and as soon as they occur we work with our colleagues in emergency services to put our Emergency Contingency Plan into place.

“Thankfully the chemical turned out to be low risk with no health implications for anyone involved.”

The recycling centre and Stobhill Road were closed for five hours while emergency services attended the scene.

If you were affected by this incident, get in touch here.