Dalkeith knock out Super League side

Dalkeith Thistle 4-0 Broxburn Athletic
Dalkeith Thistle 4-0 Broxburn Athletic

Dalkeith Thistle eased past top-flight Broxburn at King’s Park on Saturday to advance to the quarter-finals of the East of Scotland Cup.

The Premier League outfit were entirely deserving of their four-goal rout against their esteemed opponents, who were without several of their first-team team regulars, and their reward is a last-eight clash at home to big guns Bo’ness United or Linlithgow Rose.

Home striker Paul Tansey demonstrated the Jags’ intent when his fierce effort flashed just wide of Gary Maley’s right-hand upright after five minutes, and then visiting striker Kieran Anderson sent an effort wide from the edge of the area. The home side were harrying Broxburn all over the park and they got their reward before the break as defender Craig Purves inadvertently slid the ball past Maley when attempting to block Michael Hunter’s cut back, the ball tricking over the line just inside the post.

Connor Spowart had displayed flashes of his talent in the opening period, but the youngster left the Broxburn defence trailing as he sauntered through and supplied Tansey who rocketed an effort past Maley from the edge of the box to double the home side’s advantage.

The goal deflated Broxburn and Maley was left picking the ball out of his net once more just two minutes later. Scott McNaughton provided the assist, his corner laid on a plate for big striker O’Reilly who headed home.

Right-back Robbie Manson then picked up a second yellow card for dissent, with any hope of a Broxburn comeback now all but ended. O’Reilly put that unlikely scenario to bed after 69 minutes as he latched on to Tansey’s pinpoint crossfield ball which sent him through one-on-one and he dispatched clinically past Maley.

Broxburn should have grabbed a consolation late on when Anderson hit his effort straight at keeper David Hay, and Dalkeith recorded an impressive victory.

Meanwhile, the Jags last week appointed former Hibs star Mickey Weir as a coach.