Danderhall win replay to advance in the cup

Danderhall's Grant McMillan shooting at goal
Danderhall's Grant McMillan shooting at goal

Danderhall Miners AFC travelled to Kilsyth last Saturday for their Scottish Cup fifth round replay tie against a very strong Kilsyth AFC team.

The first game two weeks prior at Dalkeith Campus ended in a 2-2 draw after a spirited fight back and last minute equaliser from Danderhall who had been reduced to nine men.

The replay saw Kilsyth on the offensive from kick off, and their early pressure was rewarded with a goal on eight minutes, their striker sliding the ball into the net after a fine save by Danderhall keeper Thomas Corberry. 
Their was no panic from Danderhall who were starting to take control of the game playing passing football, which resulted in them equalising on 18 minutes. A brilliant pass by Laing to McMilllan who took the ball on the run – a great first touch saw him bear down on goal and dispatch the ball into the net. 
Despite some lovely football by Danderhall, the scoreline remained 1-1 at the break.

Danderhall, who took a 2-1 lead on 55 minutes, dominated the second half. The influential Laing floated a free kick into the box, which was eventually headed home from close range by Colin Lawson. 
Danderhall continued to dominate and killed off the game with a further two goals in a five minute period - 70 minutes in. 
The third goal came from a penalty by Andy Daily after the Kilsyth goalkeeper – who was lucky to escape a red card for the incident, tripped Lawson. Grant McMillan capped off a fine performance with the fourth goal showing great composure to pass the ball into the net from 20 yards following a save from Kilsyth goalkeeper. 
Kilsyth got a consolation goal on 81 minutes and despite some late pressure from the home side Danderhall remained strong in defence, led by Kevin Milne who was again outstanding showing his many years of experience playing junior football.
Full-time score, Kilsyth 2, Danderhall 4.

Danderhall - managed by Alex Stewart, John Taylor and Gary Rankin - now play their sixth round tie (last 16) away to East Kilbride amateurs this coming Saturday.

Report by Stephen Curran