Early strike not enough for a win

Whitehill 1-1 Selkirk
Whitehill 1-1 Selkirk

There were no home comforts for Whitehill Welfare on Saturday as they dropped two points at home in the Lowland League.

Selkirk keeper Jamie Newman could do nothing to prevent his side falling behind on ten minutes however. On-loan St Johnstone striker Kerr kept his composure to lift the ball past Newman and into the far corner for his second goal in three games.

Selkirk had been pressuring Whitehill without creating much of note. A clever throw-in from the left allowed Phill Addison a sight of goal, but his volley flew high over Bryan Young’s crossbar.

Young then had to be brave to block at the feet of Ross King and he reacted sharply to divert Scott Ritchie’s follow-up. King got more on his effort after 28 minutes, but again Young was down well to hold his low drive. Bayan Fenwick was next to work Young after a sharp turn and volley in the area, but again the Whitehill keeper was equal to it and held on.

The home side began the second period on the front foot with captain Callum Connolly firing over after a neat one-two on the edge of the area with Stevie Manson.

Selkirk thought they’d levelled when John Pyper connected sweetly with a left foot volley following a Garry Kenneth knock down. It had Young beaten all ends up, but crashed off the underside of the bar and back out. Connolly again went close at the other end, Newman blocking his shot at the near post with his legs. Kerr should have had his and Whitehall’s second shortly after when through on goal, but his attempted chip was too high.

Selkirk finally got what was probably a deserved equaliser with seven minutes remaining. Fenwick showed good composure to stroke home after being picked out in the area. Young got a hand to his placed effort, but couldn’t keep it out.

The game stretched in the last five, with Connolly picking out Connor McGregor at the back post, but his powerful drive was held by Newman. Andy Martin then fired over in stoppage time.