The original village of Newbattle extended from the church to the South Esk and beyond.
Buildings were on one side of the street and there were no gap sites as there are now.
Some idea of its size was given in 1794 by the parish minister when he wrote “the village of Newbattle, which was once very populous has been left to languish under many discouragements.”
The church was the focal point. It was built in 1727 but there was one before it, almost opposite on the other side of the abbey wall.
Full story in this week’s Midlothian Advertiser. On sale now.