Another significant step in the regeneration of Dalkeith town centre has been reached with the repair, conversion and restoration of the former Cross Keys Hotel.
One of the town’s most important historic buildings, it was built in a prominent position on the High Street in 1804 as a coaching inn.
Dalkeith was one of the busiest market towns in Scotland at the time, and the High Street was a wide thoroughfare where regular markets were held and farmers brought their goods to sell from the rich land surrounding the town.
The Cross Keys became a popular venue for tradesmen and visitors to the market, and the building played host to official balls and banquets.
More recently the building fell on hard times, becoming run down and eventually vacant. Water penetrated the roof, causing a serious outbreak of dry rot. The deterioration of the the historic landmark was a cause of local concern.
The Cross Keys became a listed building at risk and was a priority project for the Dalkeith Townscape Heritage initiative (THI) and Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme (CARS).
A total of £629.457 has been spent on bringing the building up to scratch, half of which came through the THI/CARS scheme.
Read full story in the April 11 edition of the Midlothian Advertiser.