Retail firm B&M Retail Ltd was fined £5,300 recently for a breach of health and safety regulations at its Dalkeith store.
Following an investigation by Midlothian Council’s Environmental Health officers, the firm was fined for exposing employees to asbestos risk.
At Edinburgh Sheriff Court the firm pleaded guilty to a failure to prevent exposure of their employees to asbestos.
The court heard that on January 23, 2010, smoke was believed to be emanating from a light fitting in the store. The then store manager smashed a ceiling tile to gain access to the area to investigate matters. An electrician was subsequently engaged to attend and rectify the problem.
The council inspected the premises in 2011 and it was noted that almost a quarter of the ceiling tile remained in place with debris from the broken tile still on the floor. Analysis of the ceiling tile confirmed it contained asbestos.
A subsequent investigation by Midlothian Council found the company’s asbestos management plan to be insufficient and served an improvement notice which required the deficiencies in the plan to be remedied.