A FIREFIGHTER was injured while tackling a waste heap fire in Gorebridge last week.
He fell into the smouldering Arniston Bing on Monday last week, but escaped serious injury. One week after the incident, the ground’s instability is still causing concern.
Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service had been called to a tree fire in the area at around 2.30pm. That fire was extinguished quickly, but the surrounding ground became unstable and a fire developed underground, fuelled by coal dust. Fencing and signage has kept the public at a distance.
Midlothian Council issued a danger warning on Wednesday morning and parents were urged to keep their children away from the bing.
Full story in this week’s Advertiser - available now.