This year’s Remembrance Sunday event in Gorebridge will go ahead as planned despite fears about the current site of the war memorial.
The memorial is located at the half-built community hub in the village, where work has stopped after the group responsible for its delivery recently dropped the builder.
At the latest meeting of Gorebridge Community Council, fears were raised over whether the site would be suitable for this year’s service.
Community council member Trevor Taylor said: “The hub is nowhere near done. The memorial is surrounded by a mess.
“That will be up to the Gorebridge Community Development Trust to sort out and they will have to do it fairly pronto.”
The possibility of moving the war memorial to Main Street was also discussed.
Gorebridge Community Development Trust’s project organiser, Paul Renwick, told the Advertiser that the Remembrance Sunday event will still take place at the hub.
He said: “We have been working with Eddie Robertson (chairman) at the community council on this and the Trust is absolutely clear that there will be access to the war memorial. That’s certain.
“We will also be ensuring that the grass and shrubbery around it will be tidied up as well. There was an issue last year too and we allowed access to the war memorial then.
“So there is no doubt there will be access. It will be available in November for the community to pay their respects.”
Mr Renwick couldn’t say whether or not the two war memorials in the village could be moved to Main Street in the future.
He said: “Obviously there are two war memorials, one at the hub site and the second one is in the church.
“The plan is for that memorial in the church to be moved back once the hub is complete.
“As for its future thereafter, I don’t know at this stage.”