It’s fourth time lucky for Penicuik cup tie


Penicuik’s thrice postponed cup tie against this South Division side finally went ahead on Saturday after an early morning pitch inspection.

Penicuik had a loud claim for a penalty in the fourth minute when a Ryan McCallum strike appeared to be handled in the box, but referee Lees was unmoved.

In the 14th minute, Devlin crossed the ball in from the left wing, Aaron Somerville headed the ball in the air and Keith Lough saw his header just drop over the crossbar.

In the 26th minute, Pumpherston broke up the right and Batt sent over a dangerous cross that Somerville’s diving header cleared for a corner. From the corner, Hastings saw his strike brilliantly saved by Penicuik keeper Youseff Bejaoui and from the rebound, MacLachlan’s overhead kick was blocked and the danger cleared.

Penicuik should have taken the lead in the 31st minute when Jordan Lister crossed the ball into the six-yard box where Lough somehow managed to blast the ball over the bar when it seemed easier to score. However that miss was soon forgotten when, in the 40th minute, a Ryan Gay cross was headed on to the bar by Somerville and ex-Dalkeith Thistle player David Liddle, at the back post, headed the rebound home.

Penicuik kicked off the second half and had a great chance to double their lead in the 47th minute, but Liddell’s strike was cleared off the line. However, Liddle would not be denied a second time when, from a Ryan Gay corner kick, he bulleted home a header off the underside of the crossbar.

Then, in the 52nd minute, a Batt strike from 35 yards beat Bejaoui, but crashed back off the bar and was thumped clear by Devlin.

In the 72nd minute, Lough was denied by keeper Farley, who turned Lough’s powerful strike round the post for a corner. Ten minutes later, Farley pulled off another top drawer save to tip Neil Jancyzk’s ferocious, swerving strike over the bar.

In the 86th minute, Penicuik should have added a third – but Farley stuck out a boot to block substitute Sean Patterson’s shot.

Right on the 90th minute, Pumpherston came close with a strike from the corner of the penalty box but it whistled inches over the bar.

Penicuik now entertain Rosyth in the third round of the Fife and Lothians Cup.