McQueen heroics to no avail as young Thistle side suffer their second defeat in succession

Dalkeith v Kennoway
Dalkeith v Kennoway

Dalkeith, in their fifth league match of the season, were looking to recover from their first defeat, suffered last week by visiting Arniston, but instead the young Thistle were outdone by a stronger Kennoway Star Hearts at King’s Park last Saturday

Jim McQueen’s brilliant penalty save kept the visitors’ lead to just a solitary goal at half-time, but Thistle were unable to recover the deficit in the second half.

Missing Paul Tansey and Leith McKenzie the Jags were quickly under pressure as the Fifers seized the early initiative, forcing three consecutive corners which fully tested the home defence before the danger was cleared by skipper Michael Hunter.

It took Dalkeith all of 11 minutes to threaten the Hearts’ goal when Duncan Muir’s shot beat keeper Paterson only for Doig to clear off his line.

Kennoway replied with a Wilson shot which went inches wide, but in 14 minutes it was 1-0 to the visitors as a mix-up between Sean Murray and Alan Murray allowed Band to nip in between them, take possession and shoot home past McQueen.

Dalkeith replied with a fruitless Redpath corner before, in 26 minutes, Kennoway were awarded a penalty for Sean Murray’s challenge on Shaw. However, Jim McQueen produced a brilliant blocking save from the resultant spot kick to deny the visitors a second goal.

Dalkeith did improve towards the break with an Alan Murray header from a free kick going just too high, before a good move saw Hunter set up Lewis Turkington, but he shot too straight at the keeper as Kenno’s Doig was booked for dissent.

Quickly on the restart it was McQueen again to the rescue with a double save denying Wilson as Thistle lost midfield possession.

Thistle’s response was an overhit shot by Muir as the visitors again took control in heavy rain. Thistle’s Blake Wales substituted for Ty McLean.

A leg-blocking save by McQueen in 61 minutes next denied Hearts’ Bonnington’s shot. But in 68 minutes it was 2-0 to the Fifers when Wilson was put clean through and he beat McQueen, though the keeper did get a touch to the ball before it hit the net.

In reply, Scott Waugh went near following a cross by Hunter before a tip-over save by McQueen from a Kennoway Trialist kept the winning scoreline to two nil, the visitors going home with all three points.