CHILDREN had access to asbestos for more than two weeks after it was dumped near a Midlothian estate.
Questions are being asked over why locals were left exposed to the dangerous fibres for 16 days after the fly-tipping was reported.
Before specialist contractors removed the material – at a cost of more than £10,000 – the boards were covered with plastic sheeting. But this offered no deterrent to children, who continued to play with the asbestos, oblivious to its potentially life-threatening properties.
For full story, see this week’s Advertiser.