Mystery goal makes all the difference

Whitehill Welfare 2-3 East Kilbride
Whitehill Welfare 2-3 East Kilbride

Managerless Whitehill will take heart from Saturday’s 3-2 loss at home to East Kilbride, with a bizarre goal making the difference.

It took the visitor’s less than four minutes to go ahead. Martin McBride’s low corner wasn’t cleared at the front post and Smith was able to force home from close range amidst a crowd of bodies.

Whitehill had the chance to level from the spot just six minutes later. Andy Martin beat Kilby keeper Matt McGinley in a foot race, the keeper wiping him out in the area after the midfielder got a toe to the ball. Shouts for the keeper to be shown a red rather then a yellow were ignored, but O’Hara scored the penalty low to his left in any case. O’Hara went close to scoring Welfare’s second soon after the break, driving an indirect free kick just wide of McGinley’s left-hand post.

Confusion reigned when Jack Smith again put East Kilbride in front on 55 minutes when he looked to have slid the ball wide of the far post. Smith wheeled away celebrating however after the ball had apparently gone through a hole on the corner of the net. After some deliberation and protests from both sides, the goal was given in bizarre circumstances.

Brady was inches from making it 3-1 soon after, hitting the crossbar direct from a corner on the right. Whitehill keeper Bryan Young was forced into a good stop when McBride’s well struck free kick was heading in to the far corner. There was nothing Young could do to prevent the third when it did come in spectacular fashion. McKinnon let fly from around 25 yards, and his effort rocketed in via the crossbar.

Stevie Manson thought he had reduced the deficit with ten minutes remaining, but his curling effort over McGinley was headed off the line by Brendan Coll. Martin did make it 3-2 soon after, forcing home Darren McGlashan’s excellent delivery from the right from close range. Welfare finished the game with ten men when Nikki Murray was shown a second yellow after an altercation in stoppage time.