Narrow home defeat leaves Lasswade worried


Lasswade are now second bottom of National League Division Two following a narrow loss at home to one of the sides they were chasing.

The game on Saturday was notable for the considerable efforts of both sets of players to try to play and entertain given the extremely adverse conditions in which the game took place.

A snell south-westerly blew continuously, and the underfoot conditions were very heavy, hardly conducive to running rugby, but both Hillhead Jordanhill and Lasswade gave it their all.

Hitting with the wind, the visitors failed to settle and Lasswade were soon ahead with a breakaway try from some 25 metres out which was converted easily.

But the Glasgow side came back into the match via a penalty from AJ McFarlane after ten minutes.

And thereafter the tale of the first half was Lasswade’s soaking up with some ease their opponents attempts to breach the line and taking every opportunity themselves to take the play to the visitors.

‘Hills’ defended stoutly during this period when in theory they should have been more on the attack, but they reached the break only the one score adrift as Lasswade looked to hold onto what would be huge win which would no doubt kick-start their season. However, it wasn’t to be as the visitors continued to batter away at the Lasswade defence in the second half. The narrative of the second half was almost a replay of the first in that the team playing against the wind, Hillhead had much the better of both the first and second phases of play and indeed the longer the game went on the more Lasswade seemed to tire and fade as an attacking force.

At the heart of the visitors’ show was a dominant scrummage where the amply proportioned members of the front row union, Urquhart and Mackenzie, ably assisted by Phyfer and Thom turned on the heat against their opposite numbers. 
At their heels, scrum half Ross Thomson produced a terrier like performance to drive his team on with darting runs and excellent ball clearance.

The clinching score, when it came after some 60 minutes, was the culmination of Hillhead’s persistent attacking and pressure in the home 22 which produced some close range line outs and scrums and eventually could not be legitimately resisted.

A penalty try was awarded which McFarlane converted.

Try as hard as they could in the remaining 15 minutes Lasswade could not really make much impression on the ‘Hills’, and indeed the visitors might have added to their lead, but just narrowly failed twice.

Match referee David Sutherland’s final whistle brought great relief and cheer to the Hillhead Jordanhill players and supporters. Lasswade on the other hand will be disappointed they didn’t see out their 7-3 half-time lead.