Nitten edged out in ding-dong battle as home points prove hard to find

Newtongrange Star v Linlithgow Rose
Newtongrange Star v Linlithgow Rose

This defeat left the Star joint third bottom of the Super League leaving and without home win this season so far.

They made a good start with Rose keeper Barnard saving an a shot by Lee Currie after two minutes and a Jordan Cropley 30-yard shot skimming the crossbar, but with only five minutes on the clock, Linlithgow scored in their first attack, Andy Shirra setting up Tommy Coyne to slot home.

Nitten enjoyed a spell of pressure which ended with a Jordan Cropley shot that was too straight at Barnard.

But in 37 minutes Linlithgow scored again when Jack Beaumont seized possession just outside the home penalty box and unleashed a cracking shot that raged into the net. A minute later he was booked for a foul on David Morris

In the 40th minute a Newtongrange free kick was finally scrambled clear but they soon pulled a goal back when Errol Douglas netted.

An excellent tackle by Gary Hamilton denied Tommy Coyne a clear chance, then Rose’s Reece Donaldson was booked for kicking the ball away at a Star free kick award.

The second half became a real ding-dong struggle and a midfield battle as both sides fought to gain the upper hand, and both goalkeepers were kept fully occupied.

Hamilton was booked in 52 minutes for a foul on Ross Gray, before a good chance fell to Douglas following good work by Currie, but his effort hit the side netting.

Joe Hammill substituted for the Rose in time to see Gray go clean through but sweep the ball wide of the far post.

Cropley was next booked for a foul on Donaldson before Sean Paliczka replaced Andrew Sinclair for Nitten.

In 75 minutes Linlithgow were awarded a penalty following keeper Dodds’ challenge on substitute Graham Weir near the byeline. Dodds was booked for the foul and Coyne slotted home the spot-kick to give Rose a two-goal advantage.

With four minutes remaining, Star’s Sean Paliczk reduced the deficit and sparked brief flutter as his side pressed for an equaliser, but Linlithgow held out to collect the points.