Hidden away in the Polton Valley is this little metal bridge. Hundreds of vehicles pass over it each week but we probably don’t know much more about the structure.
It probably built in the 1870s at the time when the branch railway line to Polton was completed.
This view shows the bridge from the east side, with Springfield Paper Mill in the background. Its slight upward bow is a clue to a relatively early date.
The railway station was on the left, and it seems likely that the river crossing at this point was relocated when the railway was built.
The village was closely associated with paper mills. Mavisbank House is nearby. Polton Farm Colony was founded for tuberculosis sufferers in 1910.
The Esk Valley railway opened in 1867 and terminated at Polton. The last passengers was in 1951 and the line closed completely in 1964.
Photo: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland/Scran.