Rejuvenated Nitten continue winning run

Bo'ness 0-2 Newtongrange Star
Bo'ness 0-2 Newtongrange Star

Newtongrange Star continued their impressive run as they made it five wins in a row with a 2-0 victory away to Bo’ness United on Saturday.

On a windy day which made good football difficult there were very few chances.

Star goalkeeper Renton did well to punch a dangerous cross from under his crossbar after two minutes before his brother Kris headed wide from ten yards after seven minutes.

Next United’s Philip blasted the ball well over after nine minutes before good play in midfield by Jordan Cropley led to his slide-rule pass releasing David Morris, but unfortunately he dragged his effort wide of the post with Renton in a good position.

Home keeper Christie did well after 14 minutes play to rush out from his goal and head the ball away with Wilson bearing down on him. The home side’s answer was a diving header at the near post by Gibb and a fizzing effort by Snowden after 24 minutes that produced a brilliant save from Renton.

The Star came close to opening the scoring two minutes into the second half when a corner was cleared to Craig Thomson who fired a ball across the face of goal and Renton just failed to 

The visiting support only had two more minutes to wait, however. Renton was fouled on the edge of the box and Craig Thomson curled in a beauty that outdid keeper Christie and ended in the bottom corner of the Bo’ness net, though David Dunn ran away celebrating, claiming he got the final touch,

A Simpson free kick landed at McDonald’s feet but his effort was blocked by Tolmie on the line. Gibb then had a header cleared by Dunn after 66 minutes before Walker wasted a free kick after 68 minutes which Dunn was booked for.

The Star, however, wrapped up the points when after 79 minutes Morris broke through the middle and quick footwork bemused Snowden as he cut inside and made for goal. A combination of Christie and Morrison brought Morris down. The referee adjudged it was Christie and he was red carded .

After a two minute delay while the home side changed their keeper, Craig Thomson calmly fired home the resultant spot kick.

Newtongrange comfortably held on for yet another three Super League points.