Rose pushed all the way in tricky cup tie

Bonnyrigg Rose 1-0 Bathgate Thistle
Bonnyrigg Rose 1-0 Bathgate Thistle

Wayne McIntosh came off the bench to send Bonnyrigg into the third round of the Fife & Lothians Cup, just seconds from a potentiallly dramatic penalty shoot-out.

Playing downhill in the first half, Bonnyrigg –who had left four players from the previous week’s team on the bench – had an early chance via an Adam Nelson free kick which Bathgate cleared.

Scott Gray was then halted by Bathgate pivot Nyang, and on 13 minutes a good shot on the turn was well saved by keeper McQuillan at the second attempt.

Bonnyrigg continued to search for the breakthrough but a stubborn West Lothian defence denied them as a free kick by Dean Hoskins was again well saved by McQuillan as lower league Thistle made it difficult for the Rose.

Bathgate’s Harris tested Mike Andrews in the home goal in 26 minutes but the Rose goalkeeper saved well diving low down to his right.

Two rapid chances then fell to Rose’s Drummond but both were fluffed before another pressing Rose free kick from Hoskins just missed the far post.

Skipper Ross Archibald pushed forward next to link up with Fraser McLaren, the ball then coming to Drummond who hit the clear chance well over the target.

At the restart, Drummond was substituted by Kieran McGachie, and Thistle keeper McQuillan continued to deny the Rose, dealing with efforts by McGachie and Nelson.

Next, a sweeping cross by Thistle’s MacLeod was scrambled clear off Andrews’ legs as the visitors continued to 

Kerr Young next saw a netbound header tipped over the bar by the inspired McQuillan before, in 61 minutes, McLaren was booked for dissent prior to Nelson being substituted by Lewis Turner.

In 69 minutes a Turner effort clipped the Thistle crossbar as Rose free-kicks around the Thistle penalty box were well dealt with by the visiting defence.

After 80 minutes, manager Robbie Horn called sub Wayne McIntosh off the bench to replace Gray as another McQuillan save denied Turner.

Just after McIntosh was booked for dissent he turned from sinner to saint deep into injury time, getting a looping header onto Hoskins’ free kick and finally hit the Bathgate net to huge sighs of relief from the home faithful.