Three more vital points for the Star


Star won another three vital points at New Victoria Park on Saturday in difficult conditions against a very good Fauldhouse team.

The game started slowly with both teams trying to get used to the difficult underfoot conditions. Matti King had the first real chance after 17 minutes when an inch perfect Jono McManus cross found the striker eight yards out. But his header under pressure was straight at the keeper.

Robertson fired an effort from 20 yards fro the visitors that keeper Renton fumbled but Steven Tulloch was there to complete the clearance.

Blair Tolmie almost gifted the visitors the lead after 24 minutes when he dallied on the ball on the edge of his 18 yard box before slipping to gift possession to Lawson. His cross looked like it only had to be knocked home from three yards by Donnelly before an incredible reflex save from keeper Renton deflected the ball wide. Jordan Cropley came close after 28 minutes when the home side fell asleep from a corner. His effort beat the keeper but curled inches wide.

However The Star took the lead after 31 minutes thanks to a quite brilliant finish from Matti King. An inch perfect cross from Stevie Noble split the two opposing defenders allowing King to slide in to divert the ball home on the volley.

The visitors tried to level before half time with an effort from Deans that was well saved by Renton before Robertson was just off target from 20 yards leaving the hosts 1-0 up at half time.

Star doubled their advantage after 62 minutes when Stevie Noble hit a pile driver from outside the box which the keeper found too hot to handle and allowed it to go straight through him into the net.

The visitors came agonisingly close to getting themselves back into the game after 65 minutes. A quick break down their right resulted in the ball being flashed across the goal. Robertson came steaming in on the back post but just failed to connect to turn the ball home.

Kris Renton came close after 74 minutes firing just wide from eight yards, before a superb diagonal ball released King down the left but his cross was knocked over the target by Renton on the stretch.

Kris Renton then had a shot cleared off the line after 90 minutes when Coult did well to play the ball back into the box with an overhead kick. There was still time for the home keeper to pull off a world class save as he somehow twisted in mid air to parry away a point blank effort right at the finish.