Arniston take away victory

Pumpherston Juniors 0, Arniston Rangers 2.

In a game that was doubtful right up to kick-off due to the weather, Pumpherston Juniors and Arniston Rangers gave a first-class show.

Arniston were first on the attack, with a run down the right by Lumbert and a clever pass to no. 9, David Beattie.

Only a timely tackle by the home defender saved the day.

In reply, Pumpherston won a free kick on the right, only for the cross to be headed over.

The home team were moving the ball and finding their men better in the heavy conditions, but it was Arniston who took the lead after 15 minutes.

A good passing move between David Beattie and Lumbert Kataleza saw the latter slip the ball to Beattie, who made no mistake to score and put Arniston ahead.

Pumpherston returned to the attack and a timely clearance by Ali Anderson saved the day.

The home team kept up the pressure, but despite some near things, Arniston keeper Bartoz Rachowski and his defence stood firm. Only a point-blank save from the Pumpherston goalie saved them from going in two goals down.

Arniston began the second half in a more attacking mind and were rewarded by a second goal, which came when they were given a free kick 40 yards out.

This was only partly cleared and Fenwick cleverly gave a shot cum lob from the corner of the 18-yard box for the ball to finish high in the net at the far post just 10 minutes into the second half.

The game got a bit frantic from then on, with the home side winning a handful of corners, but Arniston being dangerous on the break.

Yellows cards were dished out to a few players who got over-enthusiastic.

Lumbert in particular was sent crashing in the closing minutes by a scything challenge.

But, at the finish of an excellent game played in very heavy conditions, it was a good, hard-fought three points for Arnie.

Arniston Rangers - Rachowski, Anderson, Newell, Brady, Faulds, Newman, Fenwick, Moriarty, Beattie, Kataleza and Garden.

Subs - McCaul, Landells, Jones, Sommerville and Ritchie.