Bonnyrigg march on in Scottish Cup

Wayne McIntosh takes on the Cove defence.
Wayne McIntosh takes on the Cove defence.

Bonnyrigg Rose players and supporters celebrated in style as the club qualified for the third round of the 
Scottish Cup.

Bonnyrigg thoroughly deserved their success against a very determined Highland League champions Cove 

A fifth minute chance to Wayne McIntosh from a cross by Lewis Turner went right through his legs just yards 
out before Wayne next put a glancing header too straight at Cove keeper Stuart 

Both teams were testing each other out in those early exchanges as Cove saw Harry Milne test home keeper Mike Andrews who gathered a cross from the winger at the second attempt.

A third chance in nine minutes saw McIntosh crash a shot over the bar as by the 15th minute it was a more 
even contest with Jon Brown clearing a Cove attack.

Adam Nelson’s free kick next after a foul on Lewis Turner was punched out and cleared by McKenzie before Cove’s Erioc Watson blocked a Rose counterattack.

The tie’s first corner in 20 minutes which was won by Nelson and swept in by Turner again was scrambled clear by Cove.

The Rose were denied a strong penalty claim a minute later which led to a frustrated Adam Nelson being booked for a midfield foul, the first of three first half bookings for the hosts.

Watson cleared another Nelson free kick before another McIntosh header was just off target.

Rose keeper Mike Andrews in contrast had a quiet first half as the 30th minute saw a side footed effort from Andrew Kidd rebound off the Cove post and cleared.

Jonathan Brown was booked on 35 minutes for a heftychallenge and from Michael Eggason’s freekick Andrews’ punch out only found Stuart Duff who hit the ball the wrong side of the post.

The half finished with a full stretch save by McKenzie denying Nelson’s shot before Kerr Young was a third Rose booking for a foul on Duff.

Early second half chances were squandered by both teams with a goal-line clearance from Dean Hoskins 
saving the Rose before the hour mark.

But with 67 minutes on the clock and with the substitution of Sean Jamieson for Keiran McGachie the game changed.

It led to four minute spell full of drama as Bonnyrigg firstly opend the scoring then conceded an equaliser before hitting back to take the 2-1 lead.

From McGachie’s first positive run he rattled into the Cove penalty box where he was upended by pivot Watson who was booked and the resultant penalty kick was coolly slammed home by Dean Hoskins.

The lead only lasted one minute however as Cove replied immediately with a break down their left delivered into the box not cleared and Johnny Smith slotted home the Cove equaliser to cut the home celebrations short.

But they resumed just two minutes later as Rose went ahead again following good work by Ruaridh Donaldson and McGachie setting up 
Andrew Kidd for a stunning rocket shot finish into the Cove net to cue massive celebrations as Bonnyrigg went 2-1 up.

Bonnyrigg were then in countdown for the remaining minutes with Brown limping off in 78 minutes replaced by Alan Horne but despite some late Cove pressure Bonnyrigg were not to be denied and the celebrations on the final whistle were awesome.

The Rose went into the third round draw earlier this week.

The tie will be played on Saturday, November 26.

bonnyrigg Rose: Andrews, Brown, Donaldson, Young, Hoskins, Stewart, Turner, Kidd, Jamieson, Nelson, McIntosh. Subs: Moyes, Horne, McGachie, Gray.