Call-off means Penicuik stay top thanks to comeback draw

Penicuik 2-2 Fauldhouse
Penicuik 2-2 Fauldhouse

Penicuik could have opened the scoring in the first minute when a cross from the right wing fell to Ryan McCallum at the back post, but the keeper blocked his shot.

Fauldhouse quickly recovered from their initial shock, and before Penicuik knew it they were two goals down.

The first came in the fifth minute when Ross rose above the Penicuik defence to head home. Two minutes later Daryl Young lost possession just outside his penalty box, and Donnelly passed the ball to Stewart who coolly slotted the ball past Bejaoui.

In the 35th minute, another excellent attack by Fauldhouse, again up the right wing, culminated with a strike by Ross that went narrowly wide of the target.

Penicuik finally created a chance two minutes later when McCallum sent over a cross that Somerville was about to slam home, but a superb interception by Fallon saved the Fauldhouse day.

Play switched immediately to the other end, again up the right wing and Penicuik had keeper Bejaoui to thank as he pulled off a superb instinctive save to deflect the ball away for a corner. In the 41st minute, Penicuik’s defence was again opened up down the right and again Bejaoui came to the rescue blocking a shot with his boot but come the break and Penicuik trailed 2-0 to the United.

Penicuik came out for the second half with determination and in the 52nd minute got the early goal to get back into the game when Aaron Somerville volleyed home a pinpoint Jordan Lister cross. Three minutes later, keeper Murphy came to the visitors’ rescue when he turned away a deflected strike.

Penicuik continued to press but Fauldhouse defended well.

However the home side refused to give up and were rewarded in the 84th minute when an excellent Lister strike from the edge of the penalty box curled over keeper Murphy into the top corner of the net to square it at 2-2.

One minute later, with Penicuik piling on the pressure for the winner, Ross came close with a shot that went narrowly past the post. Then in their next attack, McCallum pounced on a loose ball, but great defensive play saw both keeper Murphy and centre back Ross defy the strike leaving it all square at the final whistle.

But with Bonnyrigg game off the Cuikie are still top of the Super League.