Jags rue their missed chances as winning run comes to an end


Chances missed in the first half proved costly as The Jags’ four-game winning streak came to an abrupt halt at Oakley last Saturday.

Dalkeith started with the same line-up that won comfortably against Dundee Violet the week before and almost took the lead in the first minute when a 25-yard drive by Connor Spowart rattled the United crossbar.

Dalkeith were knocking the ball about confidently in the first ten minutes and looked dangerous in attack with some fine free-flowing football, including one move which sent Scott McNaughton through on the Oakley goalkeeper, but from 12 yards screwed his effort wide of the post.

Spowart was next to threaten. Again it was a one-on-one with the Oakley keeper, but this time saw his effort was turned around the post. From the resultant corner kick a loose ball fell nicely to Paul Tansey but his goalbound effort was blocked by a defender’s boot.

On the half-hour, the Jags spurned a gilt-edged chance to go in front when they were awarded a penalty. The pace of Spowart took him past two defender but he was brought crashing to the ground as he tried to round the keeper.

However, Craig O’Reilly’s tame effort was saved by the home keeper.

In the second half, the Jags found themselves behind within two minutes. Oakley were awarded a penalty of their own when John Robertson was adjudged to have fouled inside the box and Alan McDonough made no mistake from that spot-kick.

The Jags went straight into attack from the restart and Tansey saw his effort touched onto the crossbar.

Thereafter the Jags huffed and puffed to get back into the game, pressing Oakley back for long spells as the hosts seemed content to hit on the break.

Craig O’Reilly found himself in good positions a couple of times but his efforts sailed over the crossbar.

With just 15 minutes remaining, Oakley made the points secure when they were awarded a free kick wide on the left, and when the ball was delivered into the box an Oakley player volleyed it high into the roof of the net giving Hay no chance.

All in all a very disappointing result for the Jags, and one which leaves their slim hopes of promotion in tatters.