Jags sail into the next round of cup


The Jags cruised to a comfortable victory against West Calder United last Saturday, scoring four without reply at King’s Park in the cup.

Dalkeith gave John Robertson his competitive debut and started Paul Tansy and David Liddle in place of the two missing Hunters – Matty (holiday) and Jay (injured).

The visitors looked lively in the opening minutes without testing David Hay in goal, whilst at the other end the Jags probed for openings by stretching the Calder backline and were knocking the ball about with some ease. A goal looked likely and on 15 minutes Mikey Hunter hit the base of the post with a well-struck effort from 18 yards.

Paul Tansey next had the ball in the back of the net before being controversially ruled offside when clean through on goal. Moments later he squared a ball to Thomas Waters who saw his netbound effort cleared off the line by the goalkeeper’s legs.

A goal was on the cards, however, and on 29 minutes it duly arrived when Hunter found the net from 16 yards with an acrobatic overhead bicycle kick.

The Jags were pressing forward at every attempt and both Tansey and Stephen Pusledski had decent efforts before Grant Gavin extended the lead to 2-0 on 38 minutes when he stroked the ball home from a Waters lay off.

Right on half-time Tansey raced through on goal and was cynically scythed down by the Calder centre half. A straight red card should surely have been the outcome, but astonishingly the referee decided to take no action as he deemed Tansey to be offside.

The game was over as a contest within 60 seconds of the restart when Pusledski tapped in from two yards, new boy Robertson the provider this time.

The three-goal cushion meant the Jags could take their foot off the gas and West Calder enjoyed their best spell for the next 20 minutes. However, they found David Hay in unbeatable form as he twice denied them with fine saves.

The Jags were still dangerous going forward and the Calder ’keeper saved well at the feet of Hunter and Tansey. But in the 90th minute they sealed a fine win with a goal by Tansey. The striker again found himself through on goal, this time onside, drawing the ’keeper off his line before sending an unstoppable effort into the bottom corner.