Late kick in the teeth for Dalkeith Thistle


Dalkeith Thistle lost an agonising injury time equaliser in this six goal thriller against Kennoway Star Hearts at King’s Park on Saturday.

A double from Paul Tansey dragged Dalkeith back into this match but despite Darren Flynn’s late goal the Jags couldn’t hold on for all three points.

In an exciting game it was the visitors who struck first after six minutes through Ian Boylan - the nippy winger latching on to a loose ball to loft the ball over a stranded David Hay.

The visitors were giving the Jags a torrid time as Thistle struggled to cope with their pace and movement up front but Paul Tansey equalised on 16 minutes with a superb strike from 30 yards.

The hit man pulled down a ball 30 yards out and although there looked to be no immediate danger he sent a thunderous volley which flew into the net.

The Jags huffed and puffed but it remained even at half time.

But just after the re-start Davie Liddle conceded a penalty which Keiron Band converted to put the Fifers ahead again.

Midway through the second half with the visitors in total command they saw Nathan Doig red-carded for a receiving a second caution for a needless dive.

Going into the last 10 minutes the Hearts were down to nine men when Gavin Gray was sent packing for a dangerous and reckless challenge on Tansey only for Dalkeith’s Matty Hunter to follow suit off shortly after.

Paul Tansey then struck again with ten minutes remaining to level matters before Darren Flynn put Dalkeith in front with a terrific left foot strike at 3-2 .

But deep into added on time Ally Gray scored for Hearts to give them a richly deserved point.

Last Wednesday Dalkeith lost 3-1 at home to local rivals Arniston Rangers, with the Jags this time finishing the match with nine men.

This Saturday Dalkeith travel to Dundee Violet for another Premier League clash.

A late red card for Scott Lucas last Saturday in Arniston’s away game in the Premier League at Jeanfield Swifts also saw a late Swifts’ equaliser deny Arniston a deserved victory. Danny McFadden’s 71st minute goal had put Arnie 1-0 ahead but the late equaliser for the hosts made it 1-1.