Missed chances cost Easthouses

Dunbar United 3-0 Easthouses Lily
Dunbar United 3-0 Easthouses Lily

Dunbar United entertained South League newcomers Easthouses Lily in a game that both sides needed to win to keep in the promotion hunt.

Both sides started the game at a frantic pace but it was Dunbar who looked the more dangerous and Chris Grant went close with an effort from a Sam Young cross in the first few minutes.

Controversy next in the tenth minute saw a Chris King corner punched into his own net by Easthouses keeper Ross Combe, but referee Allan disallowed the goal.

In the 17th minute King flighted in a tremendous free kick which Ross Colquhoun headed powerfully into the net to give Dunbar a deserved 1-0 lead .

Grant then forced Combe into another instinctive save before the visitors had their best effort in the 29th minute when a Paul McDermott shot went wide. Lily’s Gary Shearer had a shot cleared off the line by Steven Tait as the visitors threatened.

But seven minutes before the interval it was Dunbar who increased their lead after a great through ball by Darren Handling found King who casually rounded the Lily keeper before scoring.

Easthouses made two changes after the restart for the second half and were unlucky not to pull a goal back after Graeme Young charged down a Connor Wood clearance. Lewis Russell had another Lily effort cleared away by Andy Common as Dunbar held resolutely on to their two goal advantage. In the 64th minute Easthouses’ Young chased a through ball which Wood saved but Young was sent off after the referee adjudged him to have made contact with the Dunbar keeper .

Nine minutes later and it looked like game over after a long through ball fell for King who unselfishly played in Young and the Dunbar striker made no mistake from the edge of the box to make it 3-0.

Right at the close Chris Grant might have done better when left with only the Lily keeper to beat but the chance was lost before the referee blew for full time with the Seasiders clinching a 3-0 victory.