Missed chances cost hosts in derby clash


Penicuik were looking to bounce back after their disappointing defeat at Hill of Beath the week before that ended a ten game unbeaten run.

In their first attack, a testing cross into the Star penalty box was turned away by David Dunn for a corner. From the corner, keeper Kieron Renton was at full stretch to beat away an Aaron Somerville header.

Then in the 19th minute, a quickly taken free kick picked out Ryan Gay on the right, his cross was flicked on by Somerville to McCallum who saw his strike crash back off the bar. The rebound was met by Ross but his effort was headed off the line and then was struck just wide of the goal by Jancyzk. At the other end, Kris Renton had a chance, but stumbled at the vital moment and his shot was easily gathered by McGurk.

Play was swinging from end to end and in the 28th minute, a Ross strike whistled past the far post. Two minutes later, a Jono McManus cross was flicked on by Renton but Cropley’s first time volley went well wide of the goal.

Then in the 34th minute, Penicuik had the ball in the net through Somerville, but referee Smith had blown for a free kick against Barr.

Two minutes later, Gay and Ross again combined well for Somerville’s header to produce a superb save by keeper Renton and just before half time, McCallum headed over from close range leaving it goalless at the interval.

Penicuik continued to press and in the 63rd minute, a Ross cross was flicked on by McCallum but Somerville’s first time volley brought out another top class save from Renton to again deny the striker. Twenty minutes from time Ryan Gay’s shot was turned round the post by the keeper.

In the 78th minute the breakthrough came when Ryan Gay tried to dummy Tulloch, but the full back was alert to this, he drove forward, picked out Kris Renton who turned quickly to slot home from just outside the penalty box. Three minutes later, Penicuik were reduced to ten men when Daryl Young received a second yellow card and thus a red.

Newtongrange should have scored in the 90th minute, but substitute Lewis Coult dragged his shot inches wide of the upright.

Into injury time and Penicuik piled on the pressure and only desperate defending by Newtongrange denied Penicuik an equaliser.