Penicuik slump against Bo’ness

Bo'ness v Penicuik Athletic (in red). Photo by Jim Dick
Bo'ness v Penicuik Athletic (in red). Photo by Jim Dick

Bo’ness United 5, Penicuik Athletic 0.

(East Super League)

Penicuik Athletic’s final 2015 Super League game at Bo’ness last Saturday ended in a disappointing defeat for the Cuikie when three second half goals by the BU sent Penicuik packing.

They found themselves a goal down in 55 seconds when Snowden headed home at the back post when the Penicuik defence failed to deal with a corner kick.

Then in the seventh minute a short pass back to keeper Christie was almost intercepted by Ryan McCallum, but the keeper got there first to boot the ball clear.

Next a driving run by United’s Philp set up Moutinio, but he shot straight into the welcome arms of Bejaoui. Two minutes later and a high ball into the Penicuik penalty area picked out Walker, but he also shot straight at Bejaoui.

In the 21st minute a Neil Jancyzk free kick for Penicuik was tipped away by home keeper Christie. Immediately afterwards Christie was again in action tipping away a Greg Ross free kick.

This was Penicuik’s best spell in the game and they forced four consecutive corners with keeper Christie denying the visitors.

Bo’ness however doubled their lead when a deflected Moutinio cross was missed by David White. Darren Gribben pounced on the loose ball and slotted home past Bejaoui.

In reply the 37th minute a long range strike by White went wide of the target then similarly a long range effort by Gribben on the left wing went narrowly wide of the target leaving the BU’s 2-0 up at the break.

Another bad start to the second half saw Penicuik sink 3-0 down just 45 seconds into the half when a kick out by BU keeper Christie saw Michael McDermott and Blaikie collide and Moutinio took full advantage of the error to shoot for goal and despite Bejaoui getting a boot to the ball he couldn’t stop the ball hitting the back of the net.

Then in the 52nd minute, Bejaoui denied Gemmell with an excellent save before three minutes later in the 55th minute the game flared up when Bo’ness were awarded a free kick just outside the box. As the defensive wall was lining up Lewis Barr pushed Darren Gribben out of the wall and Gribben over retaliated knocking Barr to the ground.

White then shoved Gribben to the ground and both Gribben and White were cautioned.

Once play resumed, Moutinio curled the eventual free kick round the wall into the bottom corner of the Penicuik net to make it 4-0 to the hosts. Just past the hour mark and a cross by Ross into the box was headed in by Barr, but his effort was cleared off the line.

Ten minutes later, keeper Christie had to rush out and smother the ball at the feet of substitute Penicuik sub Sean Patterson.

Penicuik’s misery was compounded in the 78th minute when Bo’ness were awarded a penalty kick that was comfortably converted by Devine

to complete the 5-0 scoreline a bad defeat for the Cuikie.

Penicuik Athletic: Bejaoui, Ross, McDermott, Blaikie, White, Barr, Thomson, Janczyk, McCallum, Somerville, Lough. Subs: Gay, Lister, Patterson, Devlin, Cunnison