Seasiders hit on break to foil Lily

Easthouses v Dunbar
Easthouses v Dunbar

Dunbar United travelled to Easthouses looking to avenge last season’s defeat against an Easthouses Lily side who were determined to kick start their season after losing their first two League games .

Easthouses took the game to Dunbar from the start but it was the visitors who opened the scoring in almost their first attack after five minutes, when Chris Grant rode two tackles on the left and squared the ball for Chris King to fire low into the net.

Minutes later, Sam Young went close after lobbing the advancing keeper but his effort went inches wide.

Things became worse for the Lily after 19 minutes when a King free kick was touched over his own line by Graeme Young whilst under pressure from Darren Handling.

Easthouses’ long-ball tactics caused the Dunbar defence a few problems and Seasiders’ keeper John Johnstone had to come to their rescue, saving well from Alexander Elliott.

Two minutes before the break, Easthouses were thrown a lifeline when a Paul McDermott shot took a deflection off Dunbar’s Kevin Smith before crossing the lineto pull a goal back.

Paul McDermott scored Easthouses’ equaliser direct from a free kick on the edge of the box.

The goal seemed to give the hosts some new confidence and Gavin Tainsh fired a shot inches wide before Paul McDermott went close with another free kick.

Dunbar’s Kevin Smith then headed a King corner wide and Sam Young hit the Lily’s post with another half chance as the visitors pushed forward .

United’s perseverance paid dividends in the 65th minute when Keith Tait latched on to a poor clearance and curled a left -ooted shot in off the post to regain Dunbar’s one goal advantage at 3-2.

Play raged from end to end as both teams went all out for goals and Steven Tait did well to clear an Easthouses effort from under the bar before Darren Handling had a chance at the other end turned round for a corner.

Easthouses threatened again with two headers from corners, but Dunbar were dangerous on the break and Sam Young created a great chance which was missed by both Handling and Ballantyne.

Nine minutes from full-time Dean Ballantyne sealed all three points for Dunbar when his cross-cum-shot from the left sailed high over keeper Taylor into the net and make the final score 4-2 for the visitors.