Tempers flare after Arnie rescue a point

Arniston Rangers 1-1  Dundonald Bluebell
Arniston Rangers 1-1 Dundonald Bluebell

A major melee erupted on the pitch just after the final whistle on Saturday, with both sets of players involved in a post-match scuffle.

But some order was eventually restored by both clubs’ officials with Arnie off to the changing rooms and Dundonald sent back onto the field for a post match wind down.

This Premier League match had finished in a dramatic fashion when 10 man Arnie had equalised in the 89th minute with a stunning header from Greg Callaghan hitting the Bluebell net from a corner sent in by substitute Daryl Johnston to square a volatile match prompting the nasty scenes at the end .

Dundonald had edged that first half of missed chances by both teams with a Guy Kerr free kick driven against the Bluebell defensive wall and a miskick by Danny Thomson letting the Bluebell off as the Fifers’ defence remained resolute and uncompromising. In 24 minutes Thomson’s rocket shot was brilliantly saved by ‘Bell keeper James Lennox before Thomson was booked in 34 minutes for a foul on Greg Meikle.

But just two minutes from the break and Guy Kerr was outmanoeuvred by Keatings near the byeline and his cross found Meikle who scored with a close in finish.

Arniston were stung by that half time visitors’ 1-0 lead but they had to survive a pressing restart from the Fifers with a series of ding dong shots finally scrambled clear by a fortunate Arnie defence.

Arniston eventually were to use all three substitutes in an effort to find an elusive equaliser with Kieran Somerville, Darren Leslie and Daryl Johnston all featuring.

But in 82 minutes Leslie had only lasted some 15 minutes of play before seeing a straight red card following a disputed throw in decision by the stand side linesman, leaving 10 men Arniston now looking out of the game.

However just after Lumbert Kataleza in 87 minutes had missed the game’s best chance hitting the post from a cross from Somerville. It was hero Callaghan who notched the dramatic deserved equaliser that rescued the Arniston cause. The tetchy game finished with yet another booking for Scott Orrock for a hand ball a la Maradona !

Arniston now visit top flight Sauchie in the Fife and Lothians Cup. Sauchie beat Tayport at home in the Super League last Saturday.