Thistle falter as they are unable to get the better of Haddington

Haddington's Bauld scores the winning goal
Haddington's Bauld scores the winning goal

Dalkeith Thistle surrendered a five league game winning streak with a disappointing performance at Haddington last Saturday.

The Jags went into this match missing James Redpath and Callam McNeil but gave Ty Mclean his first start of the year and had Darryl Devlin back in the squad.

With conditions underfoot difficult following the overnight rain, the home 
settled quickly and should have opened the scoring on just five minutes when Paul Devlin headed over 
McQueen’s crossbar from six yards.

The home side were playing the better football and getting a great deal of success down either flank, delivering some great crosses, however, they were dealt with comfortably enough by the Dalkeith back line Dan Greig and Dean Whitson.

It was a full 20 minutes before the Jags had a glimpse at goal when Paul Tansey saw a cross/shot drifted harmlessly wide of target, however, it was the home side who continued to look the more dangerous.

As half time approached the Jags started to exert a bit of pressure with Ty Mclean heading wide from a good position and then Stewart Adams seeing a shot 
comfortably saved by home keeper Sinclair Inglis to leave the half time score 0-0.

The Jags looked like a 
different side at the start of the second half as they 
dominated the opening exchanges and should have opened the scoring on 47 
minutes when Dan Greig somehow headed wide from three yards out.

Then a minute later a deep cross from John Robertson found Mikey Hunter who’s clever header laid the ball on a plate for Ty Mclean, however, the winger snatched at his shot and shot the ball wide.

Despite the promising start to the half by the Jags, the home side started to influence play again and James McQueen had to look lively to tip a Sinclair 
effort round the post.

Dan Greig gave the Jags fans a scare when he looked to have pulled down Moffat inside the box but referee Callam 
Doyle waved play on despite the home side’s protests.

Then on 70 minutes the winning goal for Haddington finally arrived – Chris Cairney played a quick free kick to 
Robert Berry and he delivered an inch perfect cross for an unmarked Euan Bauld to power a header past McQueen from six yards.

The Jags huffed and puffed but were getting nowhere 
until the last five minutes 
when they started to exert a 
bit of pressure on the home goal but they found Inglis in commanding form and there was no chance of an equal-
iser before the referee blew for time up.