Whitehill suffer loss in league opener

Whitehill 1-2 Threave ''The Midlothian side's new signing Jamie Devlin puts them ahead
Whitehill 1-2 Threave ''The Midlothian side's new signing Jamie Devlin puts them ahead

There were nine debutants in Grant Carnie’s Welfare side on Saturday for the visit of Threave Rovers in this Lowland League kick-off.

Whitehill got their season off to the perfect start when the Threave defence failed to deal with a ball into their box and Jamie Devlin pounced to score past Nikola Rajovic in the Threave goal.

Moments later the goalkeeper had to react quickly to tip a John Williams header round the post.

As the heavens opened, the visitors’ Ben Irving drove in from the left and Connar Easton parried his shot to the feet of Danny Dunglinson who shot wide with the goal gaping.

Steven Manson then found himself one on one at the other end but pulled his shot the wrong side of the post.

A Threave trialist only just blocked a Ross Nisbet header on the line and his side then went up the park and struck the crossbar.

Sean Wringe and Sean Martin both had great 
opportunities to add a second goal for the home side but were unable to hit the target.

On 40 minutes Nisbet was booked for a foul 30 yards out and the subsequent Threave free-kick was fired well over.

However, within 35 
seconds of the restart the scores were level. Dean Fyfe made good progress down the right and crossed for Irving who scored past Easton.

On 52 minutes, Dunglinson was booked and moments later Whitehill had a penalty shout waived away after Manson went down in the box.

As Whitehill struggled to break down a Threave defence who now had something to hold on to, manager Carnie threw on Tony Muir in place of 
Devlin but the same pattern continued with Threave 
clearing their lines. But with 72 minutes gone, Rovers won a free kick 25 yards out and youngster Kyran Jackson beat Easton all ends up with a great strike into the bottom left corner.

Thirteen minutes from time, Martin made way for Daniel McKinlay but Whitehill were frustrated in their attempts to fashion anything other than a tame Williams header that went over. And, after Muir picked up a late yellow card, referee Lorraine Clark blew the final whistle to the visitors’ delight.

Next up for Whitehill 
is an away trip to the Borders to tackle Vale of Leithen on Saturday with kick off scheduled for 3pm.