Rugby - Dalkeith hold out for bonus point win

editorial image

Dalkeith 25 - Trinity Accies 21

Dalkeith welcomed Trinity Accies to Kings Park for their first league fixture of 2013, with both teams hoping for a good start to their year.

Trinity began looking the sharper team and after a couple of phases were in the Dalkeith 22 and looking to make an early impression.

The Dalkeith scrum creaked in the first couple of engagements and Trinity’s forwards made 
inroads to the Dalkeith line. However, the home scrum came together and after disrupting the next Trinity put in, Dalkeith secured possession and clear their lines.

Dalkeith seemed to be having trouble holding onto the ball, which allowed Trinity cheap position and attacking opportunities.

Dalkeith were then drawn offside and penalised just inside their half. A quick tap caught the Dalkeith defence offside and gained Trinity another 10m and a kickable penalty chance, happily slotted for a 0-3 advantage.

From the restart some great drives and recycled possession allowed Dalkeith to pressure the Trinity line and the visitors’ defence was caught offside five metres out. The penalty was taken quickly and Walker dotted down in the corner for 5-3.

Dalkeith continued to 
dominate possession and after Trinity were again caught offside, Hamilton made it 8-3 for the home side.

Despite plenty of possession Dalkeith didn’t trouble the tight Trinity defence as much as they perhaps should, the backs cutting back into the line, allowing Trinity to contest much more possession than was advisable. Such decision making saw the home side penalised twice, with Accies converting one of the kicks.

When playing wide and at pace Dalkeith still looked dangerous and a great break from their own half forced a five-metre line from which Smith score, Hamilton converting for a 15-6 lead.

A poor start to the second half saw Dalkeith give up a cheap 
penalty in their 22 to take the score to 15-9.

Dalkeith still looked the most adventurous outfit and likely to score tries and after being denied once by foul play, Reid and Smith made ground in midfield, allowing Hamilton to take the ball at pace in the Trinity 22 and go over for Dalkeith’s third try.

Dalkeith then relaxed and Trinity came right back, pressuring the home 22 and forcing an offside offence. The penalty kick went wide but another forage into the Dalkeith 22 gained a 
further penalty.

Following several home penalties, Dalkeith captain, Clugston, tried to speak to the referee but was inexplicably yellow carded.

Trinity tried to make the extra man count and eventually went over for a try to put themselves back into the match at 20-16.

With 15 minutes to go the match could have gone either way but Dalkeith took their chance from a poor charge down, with Clugston scoring a try to take the score to 25-16.

After giving us an 18-minute yellow card period, the referee preceded to play over 12 minutes of extra time, which had the Dalkeith nerves fraying after Trinity pulled a further score back to bring things to 25-21. But the home side held out for the bonus point win and to go back to top of the table. Next match is home against Gala YM, 2pm KO.