Thrills and spills at Racewall

In what should have been one of the quieter of meetings at the Cowdenbeath Racewall it just didn’t turn out that way with a massive pile up in the stock rods, a three car shunt in the lightning rods and only one car being able to finish in the Junior bangers.

The opening stock rod heat hadn’t progressed too far when a car was spun on the top bend and as a result the first car to try to avoid the incident was caught and sent crashing out of the race with those right behind piling in.

Leon Stewart, who had taken the brunt of the incident required assistance out of his car, but was able to limp away.

Alan Conroy came off worst in the lightning rod shunt with his car ending up hitting the wall head on with his car suffering a lot of damage.

In the stock rods the local driver was Martin Rankine (Gorebridge).

The opening heat went to Brett Sneddon and he was clear of Siobhan Martin and James Gray at the flag. Heat two ended with Jordan Wright scoring a comfortable win over Grant McGowan and Michael Bethune with Rankine in eighth place.

Craig Venters was the first to show when the final started but he was soon caught and passed by Wright. However as the race progressed Gary was reeling him in and with only a few laps remaining dived inside to take the lead. Despite Wright hanging on Gray went through to win with Derek Conner in third place.

In the lightning rods heat one went to Paul Carruthers who led home John Sibbald and Lindsay Wilson. It was Chrissy Dearn who held on to win heat two leading home Sibbald and Carruthers to the line.

Gary Nicholls then won the final taking the lead midway through the race and then held on as Sibbald and Wilson closed in. Wilson won the Allcomers race going around the outside of those ahead to take the win from Alex Rogan and Sibbald.

Local driver in the junior bangers was Aiden Moffat (Dalkeith) who overcame a lap handicap to win heat one from Daniel Davidson and Ryan Thompson. In heat two it was Thompson who went through to win from William Ewart and Moffat.

In the final Jordan Cassie pulled out and was then promptly hit by Michael Stewart suspending the race. On the restart Moffat drove around Thompson into the lead but behind Davidson and Thompson tangled and crashed out leaving Moffat as the only runner.

In the bangers Bob Moffat (Dalkeith) won the opening heat from Alan Ellwood and Andy Armstrong. In heat two it was Armstrong who won and he led home Ellwood and Moffat. Ellwood went on to win the final just getting to the line ahead of Brian Whitehead and Armstrong. The destruction Derby didn’t last long with Whitehead and Armstrong crashed head on into each other with Armstrong adjudged to be the winner.

Next week the formula II drivers are back in action contesting the second leg of the Take the High Road series and they will be backed by the minis who are racing for their Saltire trophy and the prostox. As usual it’s a 6pm start.